Yoga during Your Pregnancy
Reviewed by James Brann, MDDid you know that doing yoga during your pregnancy has a whole lot of beneficial side effects? Aside from keeping you in a great mental state of relaxation, peace and tranquility, yoga is one of the best forms of exercise for an expectant mother.
- Improves Circulation:
You may be feeling swollen and bloated, but yoga diminishes swelling by opening up your pores when you perspire. As your muscles become elongated when you practice yoga, your flexibility and mobility increases, which promotes circulation through your veins and joints.
- Strengthens Immune System:
Doing any kind of exercise improves your immune system, and with yoga this is especially true. As mentioned, the blood flow moves fluidly through your system, which also enhances your immune system.
- Gives You Improved Breathing Techniques:
Prenatal yoga is a specialized type of yoga that is designed for pregnant women. Although any type of yoga is beneficial, this specific type helps you learn breathing techniques which you can use during labor and delivery.
- Develops Strength and Stamina:
Some women have a baby in just hours (or less) after going into labor, while other women have a tougher time. Along with the breathing techniques, prenatal yoga helps you improve your stamina. This can come in handy in case you have any complications in the delivery process.
- Releases Tension in Neck, Shoulder, Lower Back, Hips, and Legs:
Many women complain of having a sore back due to carrying the extra weight of a baby during pregnancy, especially in the last trimester. Prenatal yoga helps to relieve this stress and pain by elongating and strengthening those muscles.
- Eases Stress:
Whether you are pregnant or not, stress is something that happens from work, personal relationships, or even traffic. Stress will not go away, but yoga calms the nervous system by putting you into a relaxing mindset.
- Assists Digestive System:
Going along with the calming of your nervous system, when your body is going through a parasympathetic mode of relaxation, it helps your digestive system to work properly, especially for those who also incorporate a healthy eating routine as part of their prenatal regiment.
- Promotes a Healthy Mindset:
Self-care is something women often overlook in today’s busy lifestyles, but doing yoga forces you to slow down for a minutes and make time just for you. It can make you more in tune with your body as you learn more poses and you will also be more in tune with the baby growing inside of you.
- Six Ways to Remain Desirable
- Five Fears of New Moms
- Nine Babysitting Suggestions for Grandparents
- 3D Ultrasounds Worth the Extra Expense?
- Five Unknown Things That Can Cause Morning Sickness
- Five Ways Second Child Will be Different Than the First
- Seven Ways to Soothe a Crying Baby or Toddler
- Seven Great Organic Baby Products
- Eight Must Have Foods to Eat during Pregnancy
- Eight Ways To Prepare For Your First-Born Child
- Accomplishing Household Chores Like a Champ After Baby Arrives
- Asking Dads To Do More Without Feeling Guilty
- Benefits of Maintaining a Positive Attitude
- Burping Babies 101 For New Moms
- Baby Car Seat Safety For New Parents
- Coping Tactics for Dads-to-Be
- Co-Sleeping With Your Baby A Good Idea?
- Does Breastfeeding Really Make My Baby Smarter
- Exploring the Lamaze Technique of Childbirth
- Giving Birthing Do’s and Don’ts of Labor and Delivery
- Hospital Essentials for a Comfortable Stay
- How to Talk to Your Older Children About Having a New Sibling
- How does Yelling Affect Your Unborn Baby?
- How Meditation Can Make You a Better Mom
- Is it Okay to Let My Baby Sleep in a Car seat?
- Leave the Hospital Wearing Your Pre-baby Jean Size
- Making Time For You After Having A Baby
- Milestones to Expect During Your Baby’s First Year
- Natural Ways to Increase the Odds of Having Twins
- Pregnancy Cravings: Real Or Just A Figment Of Your Imagination
- Why You should Start Reading to your Newborn from Day One
- Sanitizing Tips for Your Home and Baby Supplies
- Should I Circumcise My Baby Boy or Not?
- Signs You May Have Postpartum Depression
- Stop Being Insecure About Motherhood
- The Absolute Best Time of the Month to Conceive
- To Tell Or Not To Tell: Revealing The Gender Of Your Unborn Child
- Warning Signs of Gestational Diabetes
- Why Folic Acid is Essential for all Child-Bearing Aged Women
- Why You Should Listen to Your Motherly Instincts Instead of Everyone Else
- Yoga during Pregnancy