Real Or Just A Figment Of Your Imagination
Reviewed by James Brann, MDWomen love to swap stories about pregnancy, especially of funny stories. Sending their husbands out to the convenience store at 2:00 a.m. to get a pint of ice cream and a jar of pickles may sound funny, but are pregnancy cravings really the “baby” or the mommy who desires to eat odd things at odd hours?
Are Pregnancy Cravings Just an Excuse to Eat Like Crap?Some women claim never to have any cravings, while other confess boldly about having a serious need to binge. But the “eat-whatever-you-want” rule that some women adopt during their pregnancy is actually the body lacking certain nutrition, which sometimes women try to make up for with often very poor choices. Rather than binging on fruit and veggies, most women crave very “complex carb filled” foods or junk food that is often very high in sodium, fat and other things that can become setbacks later.
Not to say that every woman craves pickles and chips, however if you look at the high sodium content of these two things, this could be a clue. One Kosher Dill Pickle has approx. 1,040 mg. of sodium! Many people don’t realize that one serving size in a pickle is only a quarter of the pickle, but how many people do you know that cut a pickle up into four pieces and only eat a portion? Most people eat the whole pickle.
Chips also have a lot of sodium and are easy to overeat on the portion size. Other cravings for complex carbohydrates, such as baked potatoes and gravy, ice cream and similar products are also very full of – you guessed it – sodium.
Is it Salt that Women Crave during Pregnancy?When a woman is pregnant, she retains more water, so eating more sodium could actually make her put on extra weight that is beyond the targeted zone of 25 lbs. or so, depending on the woman’s body type and size. However, there are theories in the medical world that because your body needs to retain more water, that the cravings could be coming from this sodium/water retention imbalance. Especially during the first trimester, a woman’s increases in progesterone levels can actually make her lose sodium when she urinates, so the possibility that her body wants to replace lost sodium is one theory.
Or, perhaps you will be one of the lucky women who do not experience any cravings at all! Some women feel an aversion to certain foods, rather than cravings. It is a good idea to listen to your body. These are all signs that you might be lacking a certain nutrient. If you want to, you can get a test at the doctor’s office to see if you are suffering from any deficiencies.
- Six Ways to Remain Desirable
- Five Fears of New Moms
- Nine Babysitting Suggestions for Grandparents
- 3D Ultrasounds Worth the Extra Expense?
- Five Unknown Things That Can Cause Morning Sickness
- Five Ways Second Child Will be Different Than the First
- Seven Ways to Soothe a Crying Baby or Toddler
- Seven Great Organic Baby Products
- Eight Must Have Foods to Eat during Pregnancy
- Eight Ways To Prepare For Your First-Born Child
- Accomplishing Household Chores Like a Champ After Baby Arrives
- Asking Dads To Do More Without Feeling Guilty
- Benefits of Maintaining a Positive Attitude
- Burping Babies 101 For New Moms
- Baby Car Seat Safety For New Parents
- Coping Tactics for Dads-to-Be
- Co-Sleeping With Your Baby A Good Idea?
- Does Breastfeeding Really Make My Baby Smarter
- Exploring the Lamaze Technique of Childbirth
- Giving Birthing Do’s and Don’ts of Labor and Delivery
- Hospital Essentials for a Comfortable Stay
- How to Talk to Your Older Children About Having a New Sibling
- How does Yelling Affect Your Unborn Baby?
- How Meditation Can Make You a Better Mom
- Is it Okay to Let My Baby Sleep in a Car seat?
- Leave the Hospital Wearing Your Pre-baby Jean Size
- Making Time For You After Having A Baby
- Milestones to Expect During Your Baby’s First Year
- Natural Ways to Increase the Odds of Having Twins
- Pregnancy Cravings: Real Or Just A Figment Of Your Imagination
- Why You should Start Reading to your Newborn from Day One
- Sanitizing Tips for Your Home and Baby Supplies
- Should I Circumcise My Baby Boy or Not?
- Signs You May Have Postpartum Depression
- Stop Being Insecure About Motherhood
- The Absolute Best Time of the Month to Conceive
- To Tell Or Not To Tell: Revealing The Gender Of Your Unborn Child
- Warning Signs of Gestational Diabetes
- Why Folic Acid is Essential for all Child-Bearing Aged Women
- Why You Should Listen to Your Motherly Instincts Instead of Everyone Else
- Yoga during Pregnancy